Like many other things in a car, batteries can fail. They have a certain lifespan after which they tend to lose some of their properties and performance. However, due to how they are made and used, this tends to happen not that often. When it does it can be quite a pain to find a replacement and get it installed.
Truth be told there is not much that a car owner can do preventive for that moment when the battery needs to be replaced. Having an extra one that is just stored away in the garage is a bad idea since a new battery will have its performance drop as time passes by without it being used. After all, we are talking about something filled with metal and acid and that acid is highly corrosive.
Best Car Batteries 2018
For our list, we selected 10 different automotive batteries that have a proven track record of being reliable. Their pricing can vary a lot but for many owners, this is not important as long as they are getting premium quality for their car. With all these things in mind let’s get right into our list of the top 10 best car batteries in 2019 review.
- 10. XS Power D3400 XS Series
- 9. Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery
- 8. Optima Batteries 8078-109 78 RedTop Starting Battery
- 7. Odyssey PC1200MJT Automotive and LTV Battery
- 6. Yuasa YUAM329BS YTX9-BS Battery
- 5. Kinetik HC1800 1900A High Current Power Cell Car Audio Battery
- 4. Yuasa YUAM3RH2S YTX12-BS Battery
- 3. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
- 2. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
- 1. ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
- Car Batteries- Buyer’s Guide and Tips
10. XS Power D3400 XS Series
XS Power D3400 XS Series is a premium model that some might find a bit too expensive. In fact, this is the biggest disadvantage the model has and that is its price tag. The model does offer superior performance to compensate.
According to the technical sheet, the battery has a low internal resistance and was designed to be completely leak proof. It is properly sealed and comes with a regulation valve. Another great plus is the construction of the battery that makes it vibration resistant.Get it now on Amazon.com
9. Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery
Bosch focused on building a battery that offers safety and efficiency at the same time. They made the S6508B automotive battery which features some impressive technical specifications. It is a reasonably priced automotive battery that will appeal mostly to the ones that have a limited budget.
The model is advertised as having a lifetime that is two times longer than the one of the conventional batteries. It has a higher cycling endurance and higher energy capacity. This makes it extremely reliable and can save money in the long run.Get it now on Amazon.com
8. Optima Batteries 8078-109 78 RedTop Starting Battery
The Optima Batteries 8078-109 is one of the most affordable models on our list that manages to still provide reliable performance. It was designed as a starting battery which means it might not work as well if it also needs to supply a powerful audio system.
Looking at the technical specs the battery is a standard 12 volts and can push 800 cold cranking amps. The model was designed to offer a reserve capacity for about 100 minutes during which it should offer constant performance even when used in bad weather.Get it now on Amazon.com
7. Odyssey PC1200MJT Automotive and LTV Battery
Odyssey is one of those brands that many car owners should be familiar with. The manufacturer offers a wide range of batteries including the PC1200MJT. The model has been highly appreciated for its reliability despite being capable of pushing just 540 cold crank amps.
The battery was designed to have a longer service life and can survive for up to 10 years of usage. It is also quite fast to recharge and can still work properly even when used at a temperature well below freezing point.Get it now on Amazon.com
6. Yuasa YUAM329BS YTX9-BS Battery
Yuasa YUAM329BS YTX9-BS is one of the most affordable models on our list. It is a great pick for the ones that have a limited budget yet need to replace their existing car battery.
According to the technical sheet of the battery, the model is a 12-volt battery offering 135 cold cranking amps. It was designed to require no maintenance at all and it is properly sealed in order to prevent any kind of spills.Get it now on Amazon.com
5. Kinetik HC1800 1900A High Current Power Cell Car Audio Battery
Kinetik HC1800 was designed as a battery that is meant to be used for cars that have powerful audio systems installed. This also makes it significantly more expensive than other models in our list but very few can match its performance.
The battery uses AGM technology which improves it life span. Another strong point is its construction as it is resistant to vibrations and can survive high temperatures better than other models.Get it now on Amazon.com
4. Yuasa YUAM3RH2S YTX12-BS Battery
Yuasa YUAM3RH2S YTX12 is one of the most popular models in the category. It is a low price model that is surprisingly reliable and well built. According to the manufacturers, it has a life span that can go 3 times longer than other similar batteries.
The model is capable of pushing 180 cold cranking amps and has a rated power of 10 amps per hour. For the battery, the manufacturers used a combination of lead and calcium. Its build quality is fairly solid as it is spill proof and can work just as good even in bad weather.Get it now on Amazon.com
3. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
Optima Batteries has been leading the industry by providing premium products which out scale regular batteries. The 8016-103 is one of their more popular products due to the reliability it offers.
According to the manufacturers, the battery can push 750 cold cranking amps making it a good pick even for the ones that have a powerful audio system. It is about fifteen times more resilient against vibrations and it comes with a reserve capacity that will offer about 120 minutes of optimal performance.Get it now on Amazon.com
2. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
Mighty Max Battery ML35 is a viable pick for the ones that need a standard automotive battery without any additional bells and whistles. It is a basic model that is both reliable and accessible in terms of pricing.
The model is a 12 volt 35 AH battery with a solid construction that is leak proof and resistant to vibrations. Similar to other batteries the model can be recharged and can be installed in any position.Get it now on Amazon.com
1. ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
ACDelco is one of the largest automotive battery manufacturers. They offer mostly standard models for decent price tags. The thing that got them to be so popular is their reliability and excellent construction.
The 48AGM Professional AGM automotive battery is a 12 volt 35 amp hours model that can be used in all standard cars. It was made to be recharged and comes with a reliable construction that makes it sturdy enough to withstand vibrations and work even at very low temperature. It has an extended battery life and comes with vent caps that are completely leak proof.Get it now on Amazon.com
There are a lot of different models of batteries. Their spec sheets can vary a lot but for a regular car, any battery will go. Owners that have cars with powerful audio systems will want to look at the most expensive models that can crank up more amps. For our list, we included a good diversity of models in order to cover all situations. In the end, it is just a matter of finding a model that fits a certain purpose while still not exceeding the available budget.
Car Batteries- Buyer’s Guide and Tips
Do you need a replacement for your car battery that has already run out of juice? Before you head out and make a purchase, you need to think about a few important things that will help you get the right one worth your money. This is why we have lined up some of the features to consider when you’re out on the hunt for a new battery to get your car performing as it should.
- Reserve Capacity: Did you know that some batteries tend to conk out sooner than the others? This has something to do with the reserve capacity, or the amount of juice that causes a battery to keep running even when your engine is off, but the lights are on. In this case, go for one with a good reserve so it will not run dry to easily and there’s more power you can expect from it.
- Longer Warranty: Sometimes, unexpected things happen, and you want to make sure you get the best value for every dollar you pay for such an expensive battery. This is why a good warranty must be in order, and get one with a minimum of 3 years for the replacement warranty. Even a longer warranty than the minimum is worth investing in, just in case your battery ends up dying too soon. You’ll be amazed to know that some batteries can last for up to 10 years and outlive its expected life span. But this still depends on how often you use your vehicle.
- Easy Maintenance: Some batteries require you to top it up with distilled water. Then again, there are those with a case that’s completely sealed, so that spares you from having to open it and do some kind of maintenance work the conventional way. For batteries with caps, you may simply just add water when needed, although it is not a primary necessity.
- Size: Be sure to get a battery with a size compatible with your vehicle. Check the manual to know more about this, according to the make and model of the car. Then, you may either have the battery installed or perhaps do it yourself if you are well-versed with the process.
Buying a new car battery should not be too complicated or much of a hassle, as long as you keep in mind these features to help you select the right item you need. But more than anything, a fresh battery is always a solid choice, preferably one that’s not been sitting on the shelf for over 6 months. This way, you can expect it to work properly and have optimum strength to rely on.