Every fall, yards are filled with leaves and tree debris capable of killing the grass, particularly if left on the lawn throughout winter. Although it is an important task, the process of removing these leaves often takes some time and effort, more so if you are raking these leaves into a trash bag. Using an electric leaf shredder is a much faster way to clear leaves from your yard and create compost to fertilize your garden.
Unfortunately, choosing the most suitable unit can prove difficult, particularly with a wide array of options available. To help you out, listed below are the top 10 best electric leaf shredders in 2018 reviews.
Electric Leaf Shredders – Buyer’ s Guide
To help you get the best unit, below are the most important features to consider before buying a leaf shredder.
- Cost: Although your choice ultimately depends on your budget, it is important to remember that the most expensive options aren’t always the best buy.
- Power: The amps of the motor determine the amount of power behind a leaf shredder, and although the lowest amount of amps you should consider is ten, the best units do not drop below 12 amps. You should also consider the size of your yard to determine whether you will need a cordless or cabled leaf shredder. While the corded type might be inconveniencing when it comes to maneuvering around large yards, the cordless provides power for a limited period.
- Weight: The lighter a machine, the easier it is to maneuver and handle. Apart from making the work seem more arduous, you are also likely to tire a lot quicker when using a heavier machine, especially if you have a large garden.
- Mulch ratio: A 16:1 ratio means that 16 bags of regular leaf litter would be reduced to one bag once mulched, which impacts how often you have to empty the collection bag and how much waste you have upon completion of the job.
- Speed: While there isn’t a particular speed to purchase, having a few option is always best since different speeds are suitable for various functions.
Best Electric Leaf Shredders in 2018
- 10. WORX WG509 Electric TriVac Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum
- 9. Worx WG507 12 Amp 2-Speed Electric Blower/Vac/Mulcher
- 8. Sun Joe iONBV 40-Volt 4.0 Ah Variable-Speed (up to 201 MPH) Cordless Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
- 7. Sun Joe SBJ605E 14-Amp High-Performance Variable-Speed (up to 250 MPH) Electric Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
- 6. Remington RM1300 Mulchinator 12 Amp Electric Vacuum, Mulcher/ Blower Combo
- 5. Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac
- 4. Black & Decker BV3600 12-Amp Blower Vac
- 3. WORX WG505 Electric TriVac Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum
- 2. WORX WG518 Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vac
- 1. GreenWorks 24322 G-MAX 40V 185MPH Variable Speed Cordless Blower/Vac
10. WORX WG509 Electric TriVac Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum
This electric leaf shredder is designed to effortlessly mulch, blow, and vacuum accumulated leaves. Apart from enabling you to blow leaves into a pile at adjustable speeds of up to 210 mph, its powerful motor generates as much as 350 cubic feet of suction per minute, which is ideal for vacuuming piled leaves. With an angled design that allows easy reach under decks, the mulcher is capable of shredding leaves collected to 1/18th of their size.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Switching between blower and vacuum mode is easy and does not require any tool
- Powerful vacuum suction
- The vacuum bag is a little bit difficult to remove
- Features an extension cord that is not as long as should be for easy maneuvering
9. Worx WG507 12 Amp 2-Speed Electric Blower/Vac/Mulcher
As a three-in-one electric leaf shredder, this unit weighs slightly more than eight pounds, has a 10:1 mulching ratio, and features a powerful 12 amp motor. You can adjust the speed of the blower and vacuum functions by reducing power to effectively control dry leaves and increasing power if the leaves are wet and heavy.
- Detachable nozzles that make switching between modes easy and quick
- Lightweight and ergonomic in design, and this comes in handy if you have to tote this blower for extended periods
- Factory warranty included
- Features a small leaf bag capable of carrying a bushel of leaves, which is unsuitable for larger yards
- Being electrically powered means tethering to an outlet, and this can be inconveniencing at times
8. Sun Joe iONBV 40-Volt 4.0 Ah Variable-Speed (up to 201 MPH) Cordless Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
With a rechargeable 40-volt battery, 16-gallon bag, and six different speed levels reaching a maximum of 200 mph, this powerful three-in-one device is capable of producing a 17:1 reduction ratio. It also features a convenient button for switching between modes with ease.
- Six different speed control settings, perfect for controlling its blower function
- 2-year warranty
- Quick and easy conversion from blowing to vacuuming
- Light and designed for a fast leaf cleanup
- 16-gallon vacuum bag
- Doesn’t feature a strap, making it hard to maneuver
- Recharging the battery takes a really long time yet it lasts for a short time
7. Sun Joe SBJ605E 14-Amp High-Performance Variable-Speed (up to 250 MPH) Electric Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
This leaf shredder features a powerful 14-amp motor capable of generating 250 mph of air flow. To ensure users have total control over the unit, its features six different speed levels. It also reduces leaf litter with a mulching ratio of 16:1.
- Enough power to move wet leaves, pine needles, and snow with ease
- Lightweight and comfortable to use for extended periods
- Features a shoulder strap, making it even easier to tote around
- Full 2-year warranty
- Durable, aluminum alloy impeller
- The electrical cord might hinder your movement, particularly if you have a big yard
- You must keep track of the extra parts since each mode requires a different attachment
6. Remington RM1300 Mulchinator 12 Amp Electric Vacuum, Mulcher/ Blower Combo
Although it is not the fastest leaf shredder on the market, it features two-speed options, a 12 amp electric motor capable of blowing air at 150 miles per hour, and a mulching ratio of 10:1. It is, therefore, perfect for all of your landscaping needs
- Easy to assemble and use
- Perfect for keeping a pool deck clean
- Features a quick shift lever for easy, tool-less, on-the-go conversion from blower to vacuum
- 3-in-1 design
- The leaf litter bag isn’t as durable as it should be
- Small sized bag that can be inconveniencing
- Does not include a strap, making it tedious to tote around for extended periods
5. Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac
Apart from being relatively easy to operate, this leaf shredder is designed for high-standard blowing and mulching. It features a large metal impeller that drives power and enhances mulching at a speed of 250 mph, a power insert, a vacuum tube, a concentrator nozzle, a bottom zip bag, a cord storage hook, and variable speed controls that provide better control.
- Easy to operate
- Incredibly powerful
- Variable speed controls for better control
- Competitive pricing
- It doesn’t come with an extension cord
- It doesn’t feature a strap, making it hard to maneuver at times
4. Black & Decker BV3600 12-Amp Blower Vac
In addition to a 12 amp motor capable of producing wind speeds of up to 230 mph and a 10:1 mulching ratio, this electric leaf shredder also features two distinct speeds and an anti-clog vortex ideally designed to ensure it does not clog. The first speed level is perfect for flower gardens and the other for handling matted leaves.
- Compact in design, hence easy to maneuver
- Amazing suction power
- Relatively easy to assemble
- Quick tool-free switching between vacuum and blower
- Relatively affordable
- The power cord is a little bit short
- It features a bag that’s hard to remove, especially when it is full
- A little bit loud
3. WORX WG505 Electric TriVac Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum
With its incredible power, this unit is adjustable to gently push dry leaves from flower beds or move wet leaves. You can adjust the speed from 75 to 210 mph. While it converts 16 bags of leaf litter into one bag, this unit also features a removable tube and bag, which makes cleaning up a lot simpler.
- Extremely easy to switch between modes
- Easy to assemble
- Compact design that allows single hand operation
- Easy to detach bag, even when full
- Can be loud
- Tends to clog quickly
- Awkward to hold if you are tall
2. WORX WG518 Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vac
As one of the easiest to assemble and use units on the market, this extremely powerful electric leaf shredder features a 12 amp motor designed to move air at speeds between 160 and 250 mph and a 2-speed motor. It offers a 16:1 mulching ratio, and comes with a litter bag that is capable of holding a full bushel of leaf litter.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around for extended periods
- Nearly as powerful as a gas leaf shredder
- Extremely easy to switch leaf litter bag
- Easy one-touch conversion from one mode to the other
- Competitive pricing
- Simple tool-free assembly
- The vacuum clogs up quickly due to its small sized end. However, a wider attachment is sufficient to solve this issue.
- Its fan might clog when clearing wet leaf litter
1. GreenWorks 24322 G-MAX 40V 185MPH Variable Speed Cordless Blower/Vac
This leaf shredder features a brushless motor and G-MAX 40V Li-Ion system structurally designed to be more efficient, quieter, run longer, and perform better than almost every other type of motor. With its ten speed variations, you can easily move both dry and wet leaves using this unit. This device is also capable of moving air at a speed of 185 mph and vacuuming 4.5 bags of leaf litter once fully charged.
- Features ten different speed settings
- Easy to use
- Incredibly powerful
- Easy to maneuver
- The vacuum tends to clog once it sucks up small twigs
- You might have to recharge the battery if you have lots of yard work to complete
As exceptional products, each of the leaf shredders reviewed above is extremely effective. As such, the most suitable unit for you depends on both the size of your yard and amount of leaves you need to mulch. The reviews above should act as a guide to help you narrow down the list so that you can choose one that suits you the most. Remember, using our pre-purchase considerations to find a fitting leaf shredder is advisable.