Buying a metal detector is not something you should do because someone told you to do it. In fact, if you’re serious about this and you’re the type who wants to find that deeply buried treasure that’s going to make you rich, then you need to be very careful about the metal detector you opt for.
First of all, before you get one, you need to consider the price and what you’re going to use it for. For instance, if you want to use yours for many hours a week, then you need to get one that comes with electronic features.
Best Metal Detectors in 2018
Secondly, you need to think about what you want to use it for (coins, relics, gold, etc) and where you live. Certain types of metal detectors cannot be used underwater for instance. With that said, below we’ll tell you all you need to know about the top ten best metal detectors so that you can finally find one that fully meets your need in terms of price and functionality.
- 10. Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector
- 9. Minelab GO-FIND 60 Metal Detector
- 8. Garrett Ace 250
- 7. Whites Treasuremaster Metal Detector
- 6. Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector
- 5. Garrett Ace 400 Metal Detector
- 4. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector All Terrain Land and Water Metal Detector
- 3. Garrett 1140680 AT Gold Metal Detector
- 2. Garrett AT Pro Digger’s Special
- 1. Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector
10. Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector
One of the first things you need to know about this metal detector is that when the company designed it, they wanted to make sure it looks minimalistic, but offers a lot of functionality. If you want to use it for relic, competition, and coin hunting then you’ll be happy to know that it’s going to perform amazingly well in this regard.
Better yet, it can be used by both experience and novice users, making it an overall great choice to consider. Since it features Discriminate and Silent Search All Metal modes and comes with a lifetime warranty, you can rest assured you’ll absolutely love this metal detector.
- Can be used by anyone regardless of age.
- Comes with a three piece knockdown pole.
- Lifetime warranty for peace of mind.
- Some of those that got this metal detector said that sometimes it performs poorly.
Whether you’re a beginner or someone who has been using metal detectors for a long time, you’ll absolutely love this model. It’s simple to use, packs a lot of performance, and it also comes with a lifetime warranty. What more can you ask for?
9. Minelab GO-FIND 60 Metal Detector
Start looking for gold and other treasures today with the Go-Find 60 metal detector from Minelab. This is a retracting detector with easy one button press/length to match everyone’s needs. Furthermore, the user interface is great and given the fact the metal detector is powered by four AA batteries makes it very versatile.
Choose your target types thanks to the one button select function. When you find something (non iron, metal), you’ll be informed about it by the Green LEDs. However, if you find iron, then the red LEDs will turn on.
- Green and red LEDs let you know when you find something of value.
- Can be powered by four AA batteries.
- Simple one button press/length retracting metal detector.
- The metal detector sometimes fails to detect gold and silver coins.
If you don’t want to spend too much money on a quality metal detector, then you should take a closer look at the Go Find 60. This bad boy is easy to use, comes at a great price, and it’s quite accurate as well.
8. Garrett Ace 250
The Garrett Ace 250 is an excellent metal detector that features Electronic Pinpointing technology to accurately locate target and boost recovery speed. It also comes with a Depth Indicator which is great if you want to determine target depth. No matter what you plan on searching with it, the 5 search modes allow you to select a preset discrimination pattern or even come up with your own pattern depending on the type of metal you’re looking for.
You’re always informed about the metal detector’s battery life thanks to the battery life indictor. Given the fact that it features 1 touch operation, using the Garrett Ace 250 is simply a breeze!
- Speed recovery and locate your target accurately thanks to the Electronic Pinpointing technology.
- Choose from a total of 5 search modes.
- Simple 1 touch operation for ease of use.
- A person who got this wasn’t happy with it since it was unable to distinguish between metals.
Getting a quality metal detector is not as difficult as you may think and the Garrett Ace 250 is proof of that. This bad boy is simple to use, has excellent accuracy and will certainly help you find a lot of valuable metals.
7. Whites Treasuremaster Metal Detector
The Whites Treasuremaster is an excellent metal detector that will help you find a lot of precious metals no matter where you plan on using it. One thing that makes it special among other metal detectors on our list is the fact it comes with the Ground Balance technology. Thanks to it, it can easily adapt to ground conditions.
It comes with five search modes and a large VDI number in the middle, which means that hunting for precious metals is going to be a breeze. Furthermore, the metal detector works on a 7.8 KHz frequency, allows you to upgrade the coils and features a VCO audio output as well.
- Comes with Treasure Headphones with dual volume control.
- 7.8 kHz frequency.
- Can be adjusted from forty six to fifty one inches.
- The text on the screen is rather small and therefore difficult to read.
The Treasuremaster is an excellent metal detector that’s intended to both experienced and novice treasure hunters. With its excellent functionality and detection capabilities, finding coins, relics, jewelry and more will be a breeze!
6. Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector
The Fisher Gold Bug is an excellent metal detector that one day will help you become a millionaire. This model features gain and threshold adjustments, it has the best ergonomics in the industry, and it also comes with two search models. These are discriminate and large target alert.
The Gold Bug comes with a two tone VCO which is very sensitive, no motion pinpoint (computer assisted ground balance and ground grab), and features a large LCD screen with zero – ninety nine numeric target identification display.
- Gain and threshold adjustments.
- Super sensitive two tone VCO.
- No motion pinpoint
- The gold bug’s overall metal detecting performance is okay, but you can find better for the price.
Whether you’re someone who is just starting to look for precious metals or someone who’s been doing this for a long time, the Gold Bug is a great choice to consider. It has excellent features, great technology, and it’s very simple to use. Highly recommended!
5. Garrett Ace 400 Metal Detector
The Garrett Ace 400 is an excellent choice if you’re a professional who is looking for a top quality metal detector. This models includes a search coil, easy stow headphones, a search coil cover, and the ACE environmental cover up.
If you’re tired of finding trash, then that’s going to change the minute you start using this bad boy. Featuring five search modes, eight depth and sensitivity adjustments, but also electronic pinpointing, and pulse width modulation, you can easily imagine how much it’s going to help you in your efforts to finding precious metals.
- Comes with easy stow headphones.
- Includes five search modes and eight depth and sensitivity adjustments.
- Features digital target identification and coin depth indicator.
- The Ace 400 is indeed great, but there are sometimes too many false alerts to deal with.
Those who are serious about finding precious metals will be more than happy using the Ace 400. This metal detector is packed with amazing features and technology that will help you find a lot of treasures instead of wasting your time by picking up garbage.
4. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector All Terrain Land and Water Metal Detector
The AT Pro from Garrett may just be the metal detector you’re looking for if you’re tired of picking up garbage way too often. In fact, it can easily help you find dimes and quarters easier than most other models on the market. If you have enough time, then you can make quite a bit of money with it every day.
The At Pro features Digital target identification, high resolution iron discrimination, and also includes a Pro Mode Audio feature. If you’re serious about finding treasures, then this is by far one of the best metal detectors you can get. Better yet, you can also use it underwater up to ten feet deep. How great is that?
- Can be used underwater up to ten feet deep.
- Features Digital target identification and high-resolution iron discrimination.
- Pro Mode Audio feature.
- A person who got this said that the detector was faulty.
Whether you’re just starting out with looking for treasures or you’ve been doing it for years, this is a great choice to consider. It comes with a lot of useful features, it’s affordable, but also has powerful detection capabilities. Highly recommended!
3. Garrett 1140680 AT Gold Metal Detector
Are you the type who loves looking for relics, coins, jewelry, and more? Well, if that’s the case, then you definitely need to check out the Garret AT Gold metal detector. This bad boy includes an eighteen kHz frequency for better detection of relics, coins, jewelry, and small gold nuggets as well.
If you want, you can successfully use it on all terrain types thanks to the True All Metal Mode Performance function. Just keep in mind though that you cannot use it for surf hunting or in saltwater. This model can be used with the MasterSound headphones (sold separately).
- Can be used in water at a depth of up to ten feet.
- Can be used with the MasterSound headphones (sold separately).
- Excellent performance regardless of terrain type.
- The Garrett 1140680 AT has excellent performance, but it’s rather pricey.
Those who are serious about finding treasures will be more than happy with the Garrett 1140680. This model is easy to use, packs a lot of technology and features, and it’s very simple to use as well. What more can you ask for?
2. Garrett AT Pro Digger’s Special
Garrett is well known in the metal detectors’ industry and with the At Pro model, they really managed to come up with a metal detector that can meet the needs of the more pretentious user. Among the many things you’ll love about this model is that it can fine tune to the point where you can almost know what you’re detecting. This is especially true after you spend some time with it and get to know how it works, how to make the most of it, etc.
Better yet, using it is a breeze and both novice and experienced users can use it with ease. However, if you want to make sure your efforts of finding valuable treasures are increased, be sure to get a pin pointer.
- Can easily discern between a wide range of metal types.
- You can easily fine tune it to the point where you know what you’re actually detecting.
- Simple to use by both pros and novices.
- Very pricey.
Save yourself the time and money you’d otherwise spend on poorer quality metal detectors. This bad boy is a breeze to use, it’s very accurate, and also quite precise. Highly recommended!
1. Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector
The Whites MX is a waterproof metal detector and one of the best of its kind. You can easily use it to find jewelry, coins, relics and more and even get rich overnight if you’re lucky to be looking for treasures in the right place.
The Whites MX is waterproof of up to ten feet, so it can be easily used underwater. This model comes with a standard coil, adjustable length, six search modes, and a waterproof search coil. As for the frequency it works at, it’s 13.9 kHz.
- Comes with a ten inch DD waterproof search coil.
- Can be adjusted from forty six to fifty three inches.
- Features six search modes.
- Some people who got this said that they still dug junk regardless of the mode used.
Those who are serious about finding precious metals should absolutely consider the Whites MX Metal detectors. This is one of the best you can currently buy and not only is it packed with excellent features and technology, but it’s also very precise and won’t waste your time by picking up junk. Highly recommended!
If you want to give in to your hobby or maybe round up your monthly income, then you can easily do so by using a metal detector. At this point, you’ve read all about the top ten best models you can buy. However, prior to getting one, be sure to set your budget and think about where you plan on using it. This way, you’ll be able to get exactly the right metal detector for your needs. Happy buying!