These top 10 best external BluRay drives in 2019 reviews should help you narrow down your list of great options to buy in this category. We are here to spare you from the overwhelming experience of trying to find a good product worth your money, considering how there are endless options to choose from. So, allow us to present to you our top picks that may be just what you need for your personal use.
Before we proceed to our list, you may be wondering why it’s even practical to go for an external drive when cloud storage and video streaming are highly popular nowadays. This is why there are some computers that no longer have optical drives since manufacturers are aware of the fact that saving and storing files in the cloud appeal to more and more users. However, this is not the case for all people, and there are those who are still interested in listening to music or watching movies while offline. Storing data using an external drive is also more comforting for some individuals as this can prevent them from dealing with hacking issues that are indeed inevitable.
Best External BluRay Drives in 2019
With these things in mind, let’s take a look at our top 10 best external BluRay drives in 2019 reviews. We’ve scoured the internet for the 10 finest products available in the market that will meet your needs and standards.
- 10.ASUS 12X External BluRay Drive with USB 3.0 and 2.0
- 9. Blu-Ray Player DVD-RW, External USB, and Laptop Burner Drive
- 8. MthsTec External BluRay Drive and Player USB 3.0
- 7. LG Electronics BE16NU50 Blu-ray DVD Writer
- 6. Firstcom BluRay USB 3.0 Combo Drive DVD Writer and Burner
- 5. Pioneer BDR-XS06 Portable and Slim BluRay Writer with USB 3.0, DVD, CD, and External Slot Burner for Mac
- 4. Pioneer BDR-XD05B 6x USB 3.0 BluRay Burner with Windows Software
- 3. Blu-ray player for Macbook Pro, iMac, and Air with External Slot-in CD, CD-RW, and VCD
- 2. Asus 12x External BluRay Writer BW-12D1S-U Lite Supports USB 3.0
- 1. Pioneer Slim BDR-XD05B External Blu Ray Writer
- External BluRay Drives – Buyer’s Guide & Tips
10.ASUS 12X External BluRay Drive with USB 3.0 and 2.0
In this fast-paced world, there’s no time to lose when it comes to transferring and saving files. This is why with this ASUS External BluRay drive, you can expect an ultra-fast burning speed at 12X as brought to you by the advanced OTS technology. It’s much like a BluRay drive on steroids – with the USB 3.0 capable of boosting the transmission speed about 10x more than what the USB 2.0 can handle.
Aside from the lightning burning speed and exceptional quality that comes with it, your files are secure and well-protected at all times. This comes with a double data security for outstanding protection along with disc encryption. You can expect the most robust and ever-reliable data backup solution for your needs.
- Fast and dependable transferring of data with the USB 3.0
- Highest data security standards equipped with an encoded file name and password control
- Sturdy feel and durability of the drive
- Runs quiet with some white noise sound that’s unobtrusive
- Not very fast when reading BD-R
- Fails to eject the disc when the computer has been shut down with the drive still on
9. Blu-Ray Player DVD-RW, External USB, and Laptop Burner Drive
You can get an increased level of storage from a BluRay disc format, as compared to what a DVD format can offer. This is important when you have quite a large file to store such as a bunch of movies, music, and data. With the USB 2.0, reading and transferring files can be made more efficient. Thus, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the security of your data.
We like how easy it is to use this external BluRay drive. Just plug and play, and you’re ready to get started. In fact, upon logging on to Vudu and inserting our BluRay disc, the reading process is done instantly. Completing our movie conversions has never been this fast and easy with this robust and efficient drive.
- View movies on your laptop using the disc included in the package
- Reading the BluRay disc is quick and easy
- Fast conversions of movies
- The drive has a bit of a flimsy feel to it
- There is an enclosure housing the drive that’s plastic-made
8. MthsTec External BluRay Drive and Player USB 3.0
If you need a dependable BluRay player and DVD external drive, then you can get these in this nifty unit. This product offers multiple compatibility as it can read DVD, CD, and BluRay, write on DVD and CD, and support a 3D BluRay disc playback without a glitch. Just connect the external drive using the USB 3.0, which speeds up the whole process about 10 times than what a USB 2.0 can offer. Simply plug and play without having to use a driver or AC adapter. You’re on your way to transferring or reading files using this solid unit that works without fail.
Downloading of the drivers is not a problem with this device. With the impressive USB 3.0 BluRay drive, you can watch your favorite 3D movies or listen to your music saved on a BluRay disc, DVD, or CD. What’s more, you can even burn files at top speed when you need to create backup discs to secure your data. There are also 2 USB ports included, and these should be sufficient in providing you with a good amount of power supply that you need.
- Data transmission is ultra fast with the USB 3.0 port
- Quiet operation unlike other external BluRay drives
- Performance is excellent, just as described
- No software included
- May be a little confusing for the novice to get started
7. LG Electronics BE16NU50 Blu-ray DVD Writer
Get ready to record and save your precious files using this BluRay DVD writer by LG Electronics. This product features the USB 3.0 connectivity that’s packed with a lightning fast BD-R write speed along with a M-Disc support, as well as a 6X write speed for BD-R using the USB 2.0. The choice is completely up to you, but either way, you can expect total satisfaction from the results you will get.
In terms of the quality and build of the drive, it’s rather solid and sturdy. There is no hint of poor construction of cheap materials used on the drive, which means this product can last for a long time with proper care and maintenance.
- Includes USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectivity
- Capable of recording a maximum of 128 GB of documents, photos, and files
- Select the right media for every task whether it’s BluRay, CD, or DVD
- The drive operates in a little loud manner
- Would be better to have a longer power cord
6. Firstcom BluRay USB 3.0 Combo Drive DVD Writer and Burner
Just the overall feel and look of this external BluRay drive should impress any user. It’s ultra slim and small, yet without compromising the quality of performance. There is no loud noise generated unlike with other external drives. For its price, there is no doubt that it’s one of the best items to buy under this category. It can play and burn DVDs and even watch BluRay discs using the software available in the App store.
We’re amazed by the multiple capabilities of this external BluRay drive and DVD writer in one. It is compatible with a Macbook pro and Android, along with other laptops and computers such as Apple, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, and Samsung.
- The player comes in a sleek and space-saving size
- Very quiet operation whenever you watch a movie or read files
- Reasonable pricing
- Does not include software
5. Pioneer BDR-XS06 Portable and Slim BluRay Writer with USB 3.0, DVD, CD, and External Slot Burner for Mac
With a slim profile, this BluRay writer by Pioneer looks as sleek and elegant as it can get. Design-wise, it features a chic silver color that goes well with your Macbook laptop or computer. With a ToastLite software included, you can use this device in burning valuable files from your Mac computer to a DVD, BluRay disc, or CD. However, the software only works on Mac OS, so it will not function with Windows. In case you have a Windows device, additional software must be used.
There are impressive features on this unit including the Auto Quiet mode, Pure Read 2+, and the Power Read. If you want to playback a movie, but your disc has some scratches or fingerprints, you can do so using the PowerRead feature. As for the Auto Quiet Mode, this reduces noise when you listen to music or watch a movie by adjusting the speed of disc rotation. The PureRead 2+, on the other hand, makes some tweaks on the drive parameters to produce less sound glitches whenever music playback is done.
- No need for AC adapter since the drive is powered by USB
- Supports BDXL format
- PureRead 2+, Auto Quiet Mode, and Power Read features
- Plug and play without the need for software installation
- Requires an updated version of the Toast Pro to maximize the use of the BluRay burning equipment
4. Pioneer BDR-XD05B 6x USB 3.0 BluRay Burner with Windows Software
If you want a light and sleek portable DVD, CD, and BD burner that supports the BDXL format, then this unit by Pioneer is a good option to consider. It’s compatible with both Windows and Mac OS, and you can also use it for your notebook or netbook. Various functionalities include playing 3D and standard BluRay discs or writing HD BluRay files to a disc. With a high capacity data storage, you can save massive files as needed.
The CyberLink Media Suite 10 Windows software included in the package allows you to experience the finest playback quality for your DVD and BD movies on your PC. In addition to this, the Power Director 10E lets you edit home videos using a wide selection of creating editing tools. Afterwards, you can store these to your DVD or BD, as well as upload these to social media.
- USB- powered to eliminate the need for an AC adapter
- PowerRead, PureRead, and Auto Quiet mode features included
- Easy to clean the drive because of the way it flips open instead of sliding out
- Ultra fast and stable drive performance
- The USB cable requires 2 USB ports on the computer for data and power
- Cable length is a little short
3. Blu-ray player for Macbook Pro, iMac, and Air with External Slot-in CD, CD-RW, and VCD
It’s a breeze to hook up, install, and use this Blue Ray player that works great with a Macbook Air, Pro, and iMac. All you need to do is to plug it, and you should get started with it in no time. Without the need for an AC adapter, you can just use the USB to power this device. Slot loading is used as there is no eject button, which adds to the convenience you can get from this unit. There is also no driver installment, and it should work well with any computer that comes with a USB port.
This unit is compatible with the USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, and it’s quite portable to use at all times. With a superdrive burner, you can easily play your DVD, BD, VCD, or CD with the finest quality you’ve always wanted.
- Installation and usage are hassle-free
- USB-powered eliminates the need for an external power source
- No software included
2. Asus 12x External BluRay Writer BW-12D1S-U Lite Supports USB 3.0
Whenever you need data backups, you can count on this unit for such purpose. It features an external burner with a pack of BluRay M Disc that is highly durable than what you can expect from a typical DVD. It’s also possible to write onto a M-Disc for a permanent and dependable data storage than lasts for a thousand years.
Writing and reading speeds for the BD-R is at 6X, but it is much faster for a CD-R at 24X. However, these are excellent speeds that ensure only the best results worth the wait.
- Fast and seamless operation
- An exceptional solution for data backups
- Comes with a boxy shape and rather large size
1. Pioneer Slim BDR-XD05B External Blu Ray Writer
We love how slim and portable this BluRay external drive is, which makes it a breeze to bring along and operate whenever necessary. It also uses the USB 3.0 technology that’s ultra fast and efficient, so we get the work done in minutes. With a 6X speed for the BD burning rate, there’s no time to waste with this external BluRay drive.
When we’re always on the go, the fact that this unit utilizes the USB 3.0 instead of relying on a power adapter is an outstanding selling point of this unit. Then, there’s the massive size supported by the USB 3.0 as compared to what the USB 2.0 can handle. Thus, CPU power wastage is minimized when transferring data.
- Very slim and sleek profile
- Bundled with the CyberLink software
- Uses the USB 3.0 technology for higher efficiency performance
- Lack of cable compartment
- Read speed is limited automatically to 2x once the unit detects a video disc
We hope you have found the item of your choice after going through the top 10 best external BluRay drives in 2019 reviews that you have just read. The items we featured are among the highly-rated ones according to actual product users, along with our own experience in using these products. So, after a careful analysis of each item, you can be sure to buy the right product that will give you a high level of satisfaction and value for your precious dollar.
External BluRay Drives – Buyer’s Guide & Tips
Nowadays, video streaming and cloud storage are becoming more and more popular options for backing up files and watching your favorite shows and movies. It’s also why some laptops and computers no longer have optical drives. This is typical with newer models of home computers, although it was pretty much old news with Apple’s laptops.
But then again, some people still rely on external drives for a wide range of purposes whether it’s in writing, viewing, and burning videos. So, if you want to get a reliable external BluRay drive for your personal use, then you may want to check out these important features to look for in your purchase.
- Fast Writing Speeds: The more efficient the BluRay drive in writing, the better it is. This is why we cannot stress enough the importance of checking the write speed of the external BlueRay drive in question. You can already get so many things done with a 16x write speed, which makes it an indispensable device you can count on when you just don’t want to wait longer.
- Compatibility: Choose external BluRay drives that are strictly capable of reading and writing to BluRay discs only. If you want to get more things done without limited options, then you’re better off with one that can read and write CD and DVD optical discs. It’s versatility and practicality all in one device – definitely a great value for the dollar.
- Noise Reduction: Who would want to put up with an external drive that makes a tremendous amount of noise? This is why we strongly recommend that you look for an external BluRay drive with an auto quiet function, which minimizes noise as you watch your movies or listen to music. When you set the options to high for an even faster transfer of data, the auto quiet mode sure comes in handy at the same time.
- Data Protection: Wouldn’t it be great if you can have the peace of mind that your data remain secure at all times? This is why it is worth checking out an external drive that has a data backup feature that keeps your important files safe and secure all the time. A professional backup software for your data present in an external drive surely sets it apart from mediocre ones in the market.
Speed, security, and compatibility – these are just some of the essential features that your external BluRay drive should possess. So be sure to do your homework before you head out to the store and keep our tips in mind to help you snag the finest item that ultimately fits the bill.